The "conservative, fearful culture" that is "holding universities back" is not the creation of campus trade unions. Rather, it is due to the reluctance of university managements to address the long-ingrained habits of bullying and harassment, cronyism and institutional discrimination that the trade unions are energetically attempting to challenge.
It is depressing but not at all surprising to learn from the leaked document that many university HR directors are still in denial and choose to blame the unions for their problems instead of working with them to make universities more congenial working environments. At least we now know what to expect.
Sue Blackwell, Assistant branch secretary, UCU University of Birmingham.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now