Given his propensity for talking to the press about his unrefereed work, it is ironic that Richard Wiseman dismisses my web commentary on his research for being unrefereed.
It is because of his tendency to ask subjects to "jump high" and then to announce that they have failed, as well as his carelessness in experimental design (in this case, some of the medical conditions of the subjects were ones that Natasha Demkina had in the past had difficulties with), that parapsychologists are doubtful about Wiseman's approach.
Simply to have stated that the investigation had not definitively confirmed Natasha's claims would have been unproblematic, but the investigators also drew the further, scientifically unwarranted, conclusion that they had r efuted her claims.
Professor of physics
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now