Defining the doctorates

January 15, 2009

Jan Smit at the Centre for Strategy and Evaluation Services appears to demean and devalue the degree of PhD by asking: "Something that I do not understand, and that no one has been able to confirm or explain to me despite calls to several universities, is the difference between the different kinds of doctorates, for example a PhD, a DLitt, a DPhil, a DSc or a DBA, and so on" (Letters, 1 January).

Let me try, for the UK system at least. A DPhil is a PhD (for example, the University of Oxford awards DPhil degrees, whereas Cambridge and many other universities award a PhD). A DSc and DLitt come later in a career: such degrees are honorary degree awards to those who already hold a PhD or DPhil.

Gordon Joly, London.

Please login or register to read this article

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments