Health and safety isn't just about physical health ("Sector's safety record slated", July 14).
The Health and Safety Executive classes work-related stress as an occupational hazard and has approached universities about their poor record. Some studies suggest that academic staff have similar stress levels to accident and emergency staff. But, as far as I know, not one university has conducted any risk assessment of the costs of work-related stress or of the associated benefits of measures to reduce that stress.
Richard Hull Newcastle University Business School
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now