Scary films can be made more bearable for women by the smell of lavender, a study at the University of Central Lancashire has found. Female participants were found to be more relaxed when they took a lavender-scented pill before viewing three different films, including a horror film. Men who had taken the lavender pill had the opposite reaction, displaying more symptoms of stress, including sweaty palms.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now