Odds and quads

十一月 12, 2009




This vast 50-tonne steam hammer, once used to reshape steel bolts, was built in Bolton in 1917, and remained in active service at the Atlas Forge, opposite what is now the University of Bolton's Deane campus, until 1975.

The owners were keen that it should be preserved as a monument in the city and donated it to the local authority in 1981. It decided to display it on the university campus.

It remained there for 28 years, until plans were finalised for the £30.6 million Bolton One complex, incorporating sports science laboratories, a four-storey health centre and new teaching facilities.

To make way for the new development, the hammer was transferred to a wagon at the end of last month by a 250-tonne crane, and transported to its new location opposite the Chancellor's Building.

Send suggestions for this new series on the sector's treasures, oddities and curiosities to: matthew.reisz@tsleducation.com.

Please login or register to read this article.

请先注册再进行下一步

获得一个月的无限制地在线阅读网站内容。只需注册并完成您的职业简介.

注册是免费的,而且非常简单。一旦成功注册,您可以每个月免费阅读3篇文章。:

  • 获得编辑推荐文章
  • 率先获得泰晤士高等教育世界大学排名相关的新闻
  • 获得职位推荐、筛选工作和保存工作搜索结果
  • 参与读者讨论和公布评论
注册

欢迎反馈

Log in or register to post comments