Brussels, 04 Mar 2004
No. Cion prop.: 13692/03
Subject: Adoption of a Council Decision concerning the conclusion, on behalf of the European Community, of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
Consultation deadline: 10.2.2004
1. The International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (hereinafter the International Treaty) was adopted on 3 November 2001 by the FAO at its 31st Ministerial Conference.
On 6 June 2002 the Community and its Member States signed the International Treaty.
2. The proposal for a Council Decision concerning the conclusion, on behalf of the European Community and its Member States, of the International Treaty was submitted to the Council on 15 October 2003.
3. The European Parliament delivered its opinion on 29 January 2004.
5870/04 CHS/pch 2
4. The Coordination Working Party (FAO) found an agreement on an amended text as well as on a draft statement for the Council minutes at its meeting on 12 January 2004..
5. It is suggested, therefore, that the Permanent Representatives Committee confirm the agreement reached within the Working Party and recommend that the Council
- adopt, as an "A" item, the Decision as finalised by the legal/linguistic experts and set out in doc. 13735/03 ,
- enter in the minutes of the Council the statement set out in the Annex.
[Public Info Net automatically generates links to Council Register documents when an appropriately formatted document number is given. However, the document may not be available for public use and/or it may not be loaded on the Council Register yet.]