Alumnus to be proud of No: 168 has been described as the 23rd member of the Cabinet, or at least that is one of the more printable descriptions. Alistair Campbell, Tony Blair's combined rottweiler and spin doctor, proffers one of the more engagingly eclectic sets of hobbies in Who's Who: "family, bagpipes" (not at the same time, we hope for their sake) and "Burnley Football Club". We think it unlikely that Mr Campbell acquired any or all of these enthusiasms at the same time as he was picking up one of Britain's more equivocal academic qualifications, the Oxbridge MA, bestowed in his case via Gonville and Caius, Cambridge.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
- Unrestricted access to the UK and global edition of the THE app on IOS, Android and Kindle Fire
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now