Congratulations to the 13 new Royal Society Wolfson research merit award winners, announced yesterday. Launching the scheme to boost the pay of top researchers, Bob May, then chief scientific adviser to the government, dubbed them the "David Beckhams of science".
This season, David Beckham's Manchester United has had a bad start, losing five games already and eight points behind Liverpool. The Diary recommends that the researchers distance themselves from any such analogy unless they want to become noted as fashion-conscious underachievers.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
- Unrestricted access to the UK and global edition of the THE app on IOS, Android and Kindle Fire
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now