Jennifer Jenkins suggests that native English speakers should learn to communicate with Spaniards in "Spanish English". I have lived in France for four years. Should I be persuaded by Jenkins and now demand from my neighbour that he speak to me in English French? Anything you would call a deficiency in the English of a native speaker should be so called in that of a non-native speaker and not recategorised as a lingua franca variant.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
- Unrestricted access to the UK and global edition of the THE app on IOS, Android and Kindle Fire
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now