When I taught a composition course to third-year students of Chinese a couple of years ago, I looked for textbooks on teaching writing in Chinese.
The three I found were of little use as they were written and published in China, for students of Chinese in China. I could not find any textbook in English on teaching writing to learners of Chinese in the West.
Here, at last, is such a textbook. Developing Writing Skills in Chinese covers a wide range of styles from greeting cards to business correspondence, which is helpful for both teacher and learner. The books contains sample texts and exercises. The carefully constructed samples not only illustrate how the Chinese language is used in writing, but also reflect developments in China.
Song Lianyi is principal teaching fellow in Chinese, School of Oriental and African Studies, London.
Developing Writing Skills in Chinese. First edition
Author - Boping Yuan and Kan Qian
Publisher - Routledge
Pages - 204
Price - £50.00 and £15.99
ISBN - 0 415 21583 8 and 21584 6
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
- Unrestricted access to the UK and global edition of the THE app on IOS, Android and Kindle Fire
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now