This week's First Impressions, the competition in which you have to identify a book from its opening sentence, comes from a novel in which the narrator shares a birthday with 1,000 others:
"I was born in the city of Bombay I once upon a time."
The winner receives a £20 book token and the closing date is August 11.
Entries should be sent to
Admiral House, 66-68 East Smithfield
London E1 9XY
faxed to 0171-782 3300
or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The winner of last week's competition, who identified Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles , is Roy Todd of the University of Leeds.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now