This week's competition, in which you have to identify a book from its opening sentence, is from an autobiographical novel, published posthumously: "When I was a small boy at the beginning of the century I remember an old man who wore knee-breeches and worsted stockings, and who used to hobble about the street of our village with the help of a stick."
The winner receives a Pounds 25 Blackwell's book voucher and
the closing date is January 23.
Entries should be sent to
Admiral House, 66-68 East Smithfield
London E1W 1BX
faxed to 020-7782 3300
or emailed to email@example.com
The winner of last week's competition, who correctly identified The Island of Dr Moreau by H. G. Wells, is Carolyn Converse of the University of Strathclyde.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now