The University of Tartu (UT), in Estonia’s second largest city, was founded by King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden in 1632.
Today, it is a leading centre of research and training, and a member of the prestigious Coimbra Group of European universities.
UT comprises faculties of Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine, and Science and Technology. It offers 60 bachelor programmes, 72 at master’s level and 34 PhDs. Several of its courses are taught in English and the university was also the first in the country since 1919 to re-introduce teaching in Estonian. It is also the only university in the country licensed to teach medicine.
Home to more than 13,000 students, around 800 international students attend UT from 70 different countries. The university is supported by 3,500 employees, which includes around 1,700 academics, and close to 200 professors among them.
Although mainly located in Tartu, UT also has a presence in the Estonian cities of Tallinn, Narva, Pärnu and Viljandi. Its teaching facilities take place with 150 university buildings, 30 of which are outside Tartu. UT also lays claim to botanical gardens, four museums and sports facilities that include gyms, stadiums, pools and tennis courts.
UT has partnerships with over 70 international universities in 27 countries. Domestically, it has been awarded the Estonian Higher Education Quality Agency quality label, symbolic of the leading role it plays in higher education.
The institution’s alumni make up 40 per cent of Estonia’s parliament, 87 per cent of the country’s attorneys, 100 per cent of its judges, and 99 per cent of Estonia’s medical doctors.