Rhodes College was founded in 1848 in the town of Clarksville, Tennessee, USA. Originally called the Masonic University of Tennessee, the institution changed its name to Stewart College in 1850 after its president. The college came under the control of the Presbyterian church in 1855 and a school of theology was added in 1874 along with another change of name, this time to Southwestern Presbyterian University. The university moved to the state capital, Memphis, in 1925 and this is where the university is located today. After a final name change in 1948 to Rhodes College – after another college president – the college has continued to grow and broaden its curriculum into the 21st century.
Today Rhodes college is a liberal arts college offering over 50 majors, minors and interdisciplinary courses. The college is home to 18 academic departments and 13 interdisciplinary programs as well as offering pre-professional advising for subjects like law, engineering, health, ministry and education. Students are also able to design their own majors if they wish.
The Rhodes campus covers 110 wooded acres in Midtown Memphis. The campus is known for its examples of Collegiate Gothic architecture and natural beauty. The three oldest buildings on campus, Palmer Hall, Kennedy Hall and Robb and White Dormitories, all dating from 1925, were designed with the help of architect Charles Klauder who designed many of Princeton University’s buildings. The campus is home to the college’s academic, administrative and residential buildings as well as sports and leisure facilities and the college library.