The National University of Córdoba (UNC) was founded by Jesuits and Dominicans in 1613. It is the oldest university in the country and the fourth founded in America. UNC is free and secular. It is financially dependent on the national government but has autonomy to manage its budget, choose its authorities and dictate its own rules in accordance with the national level. Its origin goes back to 1610 when the Jesuits established the Collegium Maximum (Maximum School). In 1621, Pope Gregory XV, by apostolic brief, gave the Maximum School faculty power to confer degrees, which was ratified by Felipe IV by the Royal Decree of 1622. In 1820, general Juan Bautista Bustos, governor of the province of Córdoba, placed the university in the provincial orbit and finally, in 1856, it was nationalised. In 1918, UNC hosted the University Reform movement that then spread to the whole continent. During its first two centuries of life, UNC offered three senior studies: philosophy, theology and later law. The UNC has 13 faculties offering nearly 300 undergraduate and graduate degrees. There are also 100 academic research centres and services, 25 libraries and 16 museums.