Memorial University of Newfoundland has around 18,500 students spread across four campuses in the province. The institution is Newfoundland and Labrador’s only university and was founded in 1925 as a memorial to Newfoundland’s war dead. It was opened as Memorial University College in St John’s – the province’s capital – with just five faculty members and 55 full-time students. After the Second World War, the institution was rededicated to encompass the lives lost in that conflict as well. As returning war veterans brought an increase in enrolment, it was agreed the province needed a full-scale university. The institution gained degree-awarding status in 1949 and took on its current name. Newfoundland became a province of Canada that year and a government act was passed specifying the role and responsibilities of the university. Although the institution began as a small teacher training college, it has now grown into a comprehensive university also offering doctoral degrees. The university’s campuses are located in St John’s – the province’s capital – Corner Brook, Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Harlow in the UK. The institution offers undergraduate, graduate and professional programmes across a wide range of disciplines. Major facilities include the Institute of Social and Economic Research (created in 1961 to examine issues in the province), the Botanical Garden (created in 1977, the garden is open to the public as a well as being a resource for botanical research and education) and the QEII Library (a five-story building opened in 1978). The Marine Sciences Research Laboratory, established in 1967, has been at the heart of another key area of study for the institution. This was merged into the Ocean Sciences Centre in 1988, eventually becoming the Faculty of Science’s latest addition, as the Department of Ocean Sciences.