Kagawa University, a national university, was established in the small city of Takamatsu, Kagawa, Japan in 1949 through the merging and reorganisation of the Kagawa Normal School, the Kagawa Normal School for Youth and the Takamatsu Higher School of Commerce.
The university has a long history of engaging in academic exchanges with foreign institutions, from as early as 1975 when Faculty of Agriculture professors visited Asia, Africa and South America. Up until then, Japanese researchers had tended only to visit Europe and the US.
In 1985 a plan to receive international students was enacted and the Committee for International Student Affairs was set up. The following year an English language booklet was published for international students and, in 1986, Japanese language and Japanese affairs courses commenced.
The campus includes the Kagawa University Library, which is open to the public and holds exhibitions and lectures, the Kagawa University Museum, which aims to connect the university to the local community and culture, the University Hospital, the Rare Sugar Research Centre, and the Nano-Micro Structure Device Integrated Research Centre.
The Kagawa Satellite Development project developed a robotic spacecraft, launched in 2009, called The Space Tethered Autonomous Robotic Satellite. It was made up of a mother and a daughter satellite, connected by a tether. However, on launch, the tether failed to deploy. Five years later, another such satellite was launched, which was partially successful, but it could not be confirmed whether the tether was deployed.