Huntington University was founded in 1897 by Church of the United Brethren in Christ in the city of Huntington, Indiana, USA. Originally called Central College, the institution changed its name to Huntington College in 1917. The North Central Association of Schools and Colleges granted accreditation to Huntington in 1961 and the name was changed again, to Huntington University, in 2005. The university retains close ties with the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, an evangelical organisation based in the city of Huntington. As such the university aims to foster a commitment to scholarship in its students which is sensitive to the concerns of the Christian church.
Today Huntington University is a comprehensive Christian liberal arts college with a relatively small number of students studying a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses. The university consistently ranks well among colleges in the Midwest United States. There are over 70 programs of study to choose from with bachelor’s and pre-professional pathways for undergrads and seven master’s degrees.
The university campus stretches over 160 acres of woodland and grassy lawns in Indiana’s second largest city, Huntington. The university has engaged in an extensive upgrade scheme on campus, which saw them spend over $30 million on new facilities since 1990, including a modern science building, arts centre, residence halls and athletic venues. The campus is also home to the university library, church and arts centre as well as numerous sports and leisure facilities including baseball park, track and soccer stadium and softball diamond.