Hamline University was founded in 1854 (making it the oldest university in the US state of Minnesota) as a co-educational institution in the then territory of Minnesota. The University was named after the Methodist Bishop Leonidas Lent Hamline who donated $25,000 to build a higher education institution in the frontier territory. The university was initially built in the town of Red Wing and classes took place in a room above the village general store while the college was being built. The first degrees from Hamline were awarded to sisters Elizabeth A. Sorin and Emily R. Sorin in 1859. The university left the town of Red Wing and a new campus was opened in the city of St. Paul.
Today, the university’s College of Liberal Arts awards bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees across 38 areas of study. The School of Education provides master’s programs as does the Graduate School of Liberal Studies and the School of Business. Hamline is known for the quality of its teaching and the success of its graduates; the university has produced 24 winners of the Fulbright scholarship in the last 15 years.
The Hamline campus comprises lush green lawns, terraced gardens and historic buildings and is home to the academic, administrative and residential buildings which make up the university as well as sporting and leisure facilities.
There is a strong international presence on campus with undergraduate students from around 24 different countries choosing to study at Hamline, and graduates from some 39 different countries.