The Federal University of Lavras (UFLA) was founded in 1908 as the Agricultural School of Lavras. It was renamed as the College of Agriculture of Lavras (ESAL) in 1938, federalised in 1963 and transformed into a university in 1994. The university campus is constantly expanding. UFLA’s 500 hectare campus draws attention due to its modern infrastructure, encompassing 18 educational and scientific departments, more than 150 classrooms and 250 thematic laboratories fully equipped to ensure the progress of students. All this commitment has ensured that UFLA was first among all Brazilian universities that competed in the Green Metric 2012 ranking, enacted by the Universitas Indonesia (UI) in order to highlight the efforts in sustainability and environmental management in the campuses of universities worldwide.