Eastern Kentucky State Normal School was established as a teacher training institution in 1906. A small class of 11 students graduated in 1909. By 1922 the school had developed into a college, and in 1965 it was renamed Eastern Kentucky University.
The university’s main campus is in Richmond, Kentucky, a city bordered by the Appalachian Mountains and the Kentucky River.
There are four colleges at the university: Letters, Arts and Social Sciences, Business and Technology, Health Sciences, Education, and Justice and Safety.
The nickname for athletic teams at Eastern Kentucky University is the Colonels, and the mascot is a white bearded man known as the Colonel. This nickname is a reference to the Kentucky tradition by which the state governor honours a Kentuckian by naming them a colonel.
150 clubs, sororities and fraternities are represented on campus. Additionally, the Campus Recreation department organises bike and camping gear rentals, adventure trips and weekly wilderness training workshops, allowing students to take full advantage of the university’s location near Daniel Boone National Forest.
As well as its main campus in Richmond, the university has six regional campuses across Kentucky. Hazard and Manchester are known as the East Campuses, Danville and Lancaster are grouped as the Central Campuses and Corbin and Somerset are South Campuses.