Brussels, 17 Nov 2004
The European research project WOMENG 'Creating cultures of success for women engineers' is organising a workshop on 'International cross-comparisons as a research strategy', to take place in Kosice, Slovakia, on 14 January 2005.
The main topics to be addressed include:
- specific difficulties in the field, translation problems;
- ensuring comparability without losing local specificity: the construction of common classifications and indicators;
- tools for analysis of qualitative data in comparisons;
- comparison as a research strategy;
- Is gender a category as any other? How is it socially constructed in the different European countries? What does it imply for comparative research?