Jonathan Liu is well aware that his new role - associate dean for research and enterprise at the University of Wales, Newport - involves the tricky task of marrying two cultures.
He said: "This position brings together research and commercial activities.
It is about trying to remove the friction between wanting to conduct research, which may include blue-skies work, with a commercialisation viewpoint."
As head of the China Management Centre at Middlesex University, Professor Liu gained experience of helping to bridge the gap between cultures. His work included creating bespoke training courses for Chinese managers.
Now, at Newport's Business School, he is leading research into how Chinese companies are adopting Western business techniques. He said: "Middlesex provided me with a good testing ground. Newport has allowed me to introduce some of the ideas that came out of that."
- Peter Noyes has been appointed vice-chancellor.
- Timothy McIntyre-Bhatty has been made dean of the Business School.
- Amanda Kirby , founding director of the Dyscovery Centre for assessment and support of children with learning difficulties, has moved the centre from Cardiff to Newport.
- Jim Walmsley , former associate dean of the School of Art, Media and Design, leaves to become vice-president of Hertfordshire College of Art and Design.
- Emlyn Powell has retired from the School of Education.
- Eifion Breeze , industrial training manager, has retired.