Brussels, Jan 2004
22 January 2004
NOTE Subject: Terms of Reference for the COST Technical Committee on Physics
1. The COST Technical Committee on Physics, hereinafter referred to as TC, is maintained for a period of three years from the expiration of its previous mandate in December 2003.1
The CSO shall decide whether to extend the mandate of the TC for an additional period of time and, in that case, review these Terms of Reference.
2. The TC will adopt its rules of procedure on the basis of the draft model set out in doc. COST 333/2/96 REV 2.
1 Subject to such changes as the CSO may determine in the light of forthcoming domain reviews and other developments (Summary of Conclusions of the 157th CSO, doc. COST 206/04).
COST 209/04 dm 2
3. The TC is invited to identify, assess and prepare new COST Actions relevant to its domain. Such Actions should:
(i) have an innovative character and a high scientific standard and/or contribute substantially to the concertation of research efforts in that domain;
(ii) be based on careful considerations of interests, resources and budgetary consequences in the interested countries as well as on assessments of the added value expected to be achieved through the concertation;
(iii) be broad and flexible enough to permit an interdisciplinary approach and later inclusion of activities not foreseen during the preparation, taking also due consideration of point 6 below;
(iv) identify and take into account R&D efforts in other fora.
4. When submitting a new Action to the CSO for approval, the TC is requested:
(i) to ensure that the Technical Annex to the Memorandum of Understanding is structured as set out in the document "A Guide for Proposers of New COST Actions" COST 401/01 (or in any new document amending or replacing it);
(ii) to provide any additional information that the CSO may need for making a decision on the Action.
5. The TC is requested:
(i) to follow the implementation of its COST Actions to ensure that the objectives as set out in their Memoranda of Understanding are met;
COST 209/04 dm 3
(ii) to ensure co-ordination and exchange of information, as required, between its COST Actions as well as with relevant activities in other technical committees in COST, ESF Standing Committees, the Community R&D programmes, EUREKA and other European co-operative frameworks, taking into account the aspect of inter- disciplinarity, where appropriate.
6. The TC is requested to give an opinion to the CSO on any proposal pertaining to one of its COST Actions and concerning:
(i) an extension or prolongation of the Action,
(ii) a change of the title or a modification of the objectives of the Action, or
(iii) participation of a non-COST institution in the Action.
The opinion shall be given with full knowledge of the views of the Management Committee of the Action concerned; a decision on the proposal will then be taken by the CSO.
The TC can advise the Actions of its domain with regard to the scientific aspects within the objectives as laid down in the respective MoU.
7. The TC is responsible for the evaluation of its COST Actions during the final year of each Action, according to the guidelines for assessment, monitoring and evaluation of COST Actions (cf. doc. COST 222/03).
8. The TC is requested to take all the measures it considers necessary to ensure efficient dissemination and/or exploitation of the results of its COST Actions, in close cooperation with the relevant Management Committee.
[Public Info Net automatically generates links to Council Register documents when an appropriately formatted document number is given. However, the document may not be available for public use and/or it may not be loaded on the Council Register yet.]