Brussels, Jan 2004
The welcoming address was given by Doc.Mgr. Martin FRONC, PhD, Minister of Education of Slovakia, who emphasised the importance of COST for the Slovakian scientific community, which is confirmed by Slovakia's participation in 49 out of 160 ongoing COST Actions.
The Chair welcomed new participants from the FYR of Macedonia to the meeting:
- Mr Viktor STEFOV, new national co-ordinator and
- Ms Maridea PETROVA, Centre for Sustainable Values, "Lychnidos", Ohrid, event co- ordinator of the 158th meeting.
Regrets had been received from delegations from Cyprus, Poland and Turkey.
1. ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
The Committee adopted the agenda, as set out in Telex n° 5241of 20 November 2003.
2. APPROVAL OF THE SUMMARY OF CONCLUSIONS OF THE 156th MEETING (doc. COST 289/03)
The Committee approved the abovementioned Summary of Conclusions.
3. INFORMATION FROM
- the Chair
The Chair informed the Committee that the final report of the ad hoc Group on Biomaterials had been made available to delegations1. The COST Office was invited to give its opinion on the report in view of COST strategy on Biomaterials to be discussed at a future CSO meeting.
The Chair informed the Committee of his participation at:
- the final conference of COST Action C8 "Best Practices in Sustainable Urban Infrastructure" on 6-8 November 2003 in Trento, Italy, - the annual ESF General Assembly on /28 November 2003 in Strasbourg,
- his meeting with the new Secretary General of the ESF, Prof. Bertil ANDERSON, who will be in office from 1 January 2004 as successor to Prof. Enric BANDA.
- the Italian EU Presidency
The Italian delegation presented an overview of the outcome of discussions held at meetings of the Competitiveness Council of the EU on matters relating to RTD policy during its Presidency (Annex 2).
- the Secretariat
The Secretariat informed the Committee of its participation at a meeting of the Technical Committee on Physics on 10 October 2003, where the delegates were unaware of the CD ROM on COST developed for the Ministerial Conference in May this year. Since the above CD ROM and/or video had been distributed through COST National Coordinators and Scientific Officers, the Secretariat requested to verify whether distribution to all interested parties had been realised, stating that, if need be, additional copies could be made available.
- JAF and SIG
The JAF Chair informed the Committee that the summary of the last JAF meeting held in Berlin on 17 November was available as doc. COST 303/03. Proposals resulting from the meeting would be dealt with under separate agenda items.
The SIG Chair referring to the above meeting stated that the two strategic issues that had been discussed were on the agenda today: international cooperation (under item 9) and developing synergies (item 11).
[Public Info Net automatically generates links to Council Register documents when an appropriately formatted document number is given. However, the document may not be available for public use and/or it may not be loaded on the Council Register yet.]