Roger Black, 400m silver medallist in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, spoke this week of how 'fear of fitting in or looking stupid' discouraged some young people from staying in education. Mr Black joined Charles Clarke, Education Secretary, and 1,000 young people at the launch of a £1 million two-year project to encourage Norfolk teenagers to stay on at school. "I didn't know what I wanted to do at their age, but the important thing is to go for something rather than not bother," Mr Black said during the launch event in Mr Clarke's Norwich South constituency.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now