Sir Gareth Roberts, president of Wolfson College, Oxford, and former vice-chancellor of Sheffield University, died on Tuesday aged 66.
Sir Gareth, who had held numerous positions including president of the Science Council, chair of the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals and chair of the Higher Education Funding Council for England's research committee, was knighted for his services to higher education in 1997.
In 2002 he headed the Government's review of the supply of scientists and engineers, and in 2004 he completed a review of the research assessment exercise for the UK funding councils.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now