TOTAL government funding of science has fallen by 16 per cent in real terms in the decade up to 1994/5, says the Institute of Biology. Although the Tories preserved the core science budget, it says funding has been slashed elsewhere. It cites the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, where R&D funding has fallen from Pounds 183 million to Pounds 137 million in the last decade. The institute calls for a science minister in Cabinet, less bureaucracy, stable funding and better career prospects.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now