Brussels, 07 May 2003
Cion.Prop. 7501/03 ECOFIN 89 MI 57 RECH 38 IND 40 EDUC 47 REGIO 2
No. prev. doc.: 8390/03 COMPET 13 IND 56 RECH 56 MI 83
Subject: Draft Council Conclusions - "Strengthening European Innovation Policy"
1. On 13 March 2003, the Commission submitted to the Council its Communication on "Innovation policy: updating the Union's approach in the context of the Lisbon strategy". On this basis, the Presidency drew up a set of draft conclusions, which were submitted to the Permanent Representatives' Committee following examination by the Working Party on Competitiveness and Growth (Industry).
2. The Permanent Representatives' Committee on 30 April 2003 reached agreement on the text of these Conclusions as set out in the Annex.
3. The Danish delegation has a parliamentary scrutiny reservation on the text.
4. Subject to the lifting of this reservation, the Permanent Representatives' Committee suggests that the Council, following its exchange of views on this subject at its session on 13 May1, should:
- adopt the conclusions on "Strengthening European Innovation Policy" annexed to this report;
- agree to have them published in the Official Journal.
1 A questionnaire as a basis for this exchange of views is in doc. 8650/03 .