* Alistair Alcock has been appointed professor and founding dean of Salford University's law school, which opens in September. He was formerly deputy vice-chancellor of Buckingham University.
* Gill Ball , finance director of Birmingham University, has been elected global president of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. She is only the third woman president in Acca's history.
* Sandra Robertson has been appointed chief investment officer at Oxford University. She was previously co-head of portfolio management at the Wellcome Trust.
* The following Oxford University researchers have been elected to the Academy of Medical Sciences: Alastair Buchan , professor of clinical geratology; Jeremy Farrar , director of the Wellcome Trust clinical research unit in Vietnam; Richard Gibbons , reader in clinical genetics; and Stefan Neubauer , professor in cardiovascular medicine.
* Betty Belanus , curator at the Smithsonian Institution's Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, has been appointed visiting research fellow at Glamorgan University's ATRiuM Cardiff Campus.
* Robert Slavin has been appointed founding director of the Institute for Effective Education at York University. Professor Slavin is currently director of the Centre for Research and Reform in Education at Johns Hopkins University and chair of the Success for All Foundation.