* Dundee University has appointed: Gordon Liddle director of the Centre for Remote Environments. He was previously operations manager for the Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Isles, where he was responsible for environmental, scientific, technical and financial aspects of governance; and Julie Taylor , former research dean in Dundee's School of Nursing and Midwifery, to a chair of family health.
* Bradford University's School of Management has appointed Julian Rawel , formerly of the Royal Armouries (International) and Eurocamp, director of executive education.
* Sarah Field has taken up the post of national co-ordinator of VETNET, a lifelong learning network for veterinary science and related disciplines that is funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England.
* Craig Mahoney becomes Northumbria University's deputy vice-chancellor (learning and teaching). He was dean of sport, performing arts and leisure at Wolverhampton University.
* Neal Juster , currently pro vice-principal at Strathclyde University, has been named vice-principal (strategy and resources) at Glasgow University.
* Leeds University has appointed: Monica Hollstein , formerly at the German Cancer Centre in Heidelberg, to a chair in somatic mutation; Mike Mahler , previously at Napier and Sheffield universities, to a chair in the Institute for Transport Studies; and Mark Lloyd , formerly with Argos Retail and the Post Office; head of information systems.