The College of Estate Management has appointed Ann Heywood principal and chief executive from January, succeeding Peter Goodacre on his retirement.
* Two members have been appointed to the Scottish Further and Higher Education Funding Council: Lindsay Burley , chair of the National Waiting Times Centre Board and a partner in Eskhill & Co; and Alexander Watson , chair of the board of management of Angus College, a member of the board of National Health Service Tayside and chair of the Staff Governance and Quality and Improvement committees of NHS Tayside.
* Andrea Brindley , former senior indirect tax adviser to Corus, has been appointed VAT senior consultant at Centurian Consultants, a consultancy service at the University of Wales, Newport.
* Julie Walkling , London Metropolitan University, has succeeded Claire Powrie as chair of the Association of Managers of Student Services in Higher Education.
* The University of the West of England has appointed Police Constable Mike Lynett chair of the Student Crime Reduction Forum.
* Leeds University has appointed Ben Vargoe , formerly at Sussex University, as professor of quantum information science in the School of Physics and Astronomy; Gary Tideswell , formerly at York University, has been appointed director of well-being, safety and health.
* James N'Dow , co-founder and managing director of the Urological Cancer Charity and a consultant urological surgeon, has been promoted to professor of urology at Aberdeen University.