* Alan Godfrey , professor and former dean of Paisley University's Business School, has been appointed assistant principal with responsibility for lifelong learning and external development.
* Guildford College has appointed Martin Jones , formerly part of the executive team at Southwark College, as vice-principal for finance and resources.
* James Raftery , director of the health economics facility at Birmingham University, has been appointed director of the Wessex Institute for Health Research and Development and chair in health technology assessment at Southampton University.
* Alan Begg , chief executive of Automotive Academy and a fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering and of the Institute of Materials, has been given an honorary professorship by Birmingham University.
* Iain Torrance , former dean of Aberdeen University, has been inaugurated as Princeton Theological Seminary's sixth president.
* Garry Carvalho , member of the scientific advisory panel at the Environment Agency, of the Management Group of Directors Working Group on Cod Population Structure, and of the Natural Environment Research Council steering committee on molecular genetics, has been appointed the University of Wales, Bangor's first professor of molecular ecology.
* Oxford University has appointed Jonathan Zittrain to its first professorship of internet governance and regulation. He is co-founder and co-director of the Berkman Center for Internet and Society and assistant professor of entrepreneurial legal studies at Harvard Law School.