This vast 50-tonne steam hammer, once used to reshape steel bolts, was built in Bolton in 1917, and remained in active service at the Atlas Forge, opposite what is now the University of Bolton's Deane campus, until 1975.
The owners were keen that it should be preserved as a monument in the city and donated it to the local authority in 1981. It decided to display it on the university campus.
It remained there for 28 years, until plans were finalised for the £30.6 million Bolton One complex, incorporating sports science laboratories, a four-storey health centre and new teaching facilities.
To make way for the new development, the hammer was transferred to a wagon at the end of last month by a 250-tonne crane, and transported to its new location opposite the Chancellor's Building.
Send suggestions for this new series on the sector's treasures, oddities and curiosities to: email@example.com.