NUS anger

April 26, 1996

The National Union of Students has expressed its disappointment with the 18-month suspended sentence given to landlord Thomas Beedie, of Cottingham, near Hull, at Sheffield Crown Court on Monday. The court heard how Mr Beedie's tenant, 19-year-old Tracy Murphy, died after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from a gas heater. The NUS, which says that nine students have died from gas heater CO poisoning since 1991, is backing amendments to the Housing Bill, to be tabled on Monday, including the introduction of a mandatory licensing scheme for landlords.

Please login or register to read this article

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Register

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments