Brussels, 03 Dec 2003
Subject: Draft PSC conclusions on the way forward regarding the White Paper on Space Policy: A new European Frontier for an Expanding Union. An Action Plan for implementing the European Space Policy
1. The importance of space applications and functions was recognised by the Council on 19 May 2003 as well as in the Presidency report on ESDP, endorsed by the European Council at Thessaloniki on 19-20 June 2003.
2. The PSC recalls its contribution to the consultation process of the Green Paper European Space Policy from the Commission and the European Space Agency, (doc 11209/03 RESTREINT) and continues to recognise the importance of space applications and functions to support and enhance the EU capabilities to carry out crisis management operations.
3. On November 03, the Commission made a presentation on the White Paper on "Space Policy: An Action Plan for Implementing the European Space Policy" (doc 14886/03 17 Nov 03) to the PMG, which then discussed the matter.
4. With the aim of furthering the general discussions on the importance of space applications, the Italian Presidency organised a seminar entitled "Space and Security Policy in Europe" in Rome (2 December 2003).
5. In the light of the above, the PSC reiterates its position that further and regular interpillar reflection is needed to ensure that the security and defence aspects of CFSP and ESDP are taken into account during the deliberations on an EU Space Policy and its associated programmes. This interpillar reflection should take into account the work being done in the context of other EU initiatives including the ECAP project groups (such as Space Assets) identified in the Capabilities Conference Declaration, which was endorsed at the GAERC 19 May 2003 and other possible future projects linked to ESDP. In addition, the PSC notes that chapter 3.4 of the Commisson White Paper on Space makes recommendations and it will discuss the key issues raised in this chapter early in 2004.