1. The moment at which I believed I had finally made it on to the same pay scale as my male counterpart (after many years of battling), only to find that he had been effortlessly moved up a grade.
2. The occasion on which I spent a full half hour penetrating the savage interior of a photocopier, emerged on my knees and came face to crutch with a colleague. I caught my foot in the hem of my skirt as I attempted to regain dignity and standing position, causing said skirt to fall, gracefully I hope, around my ankles.
Valerie Atkinson is departmental administrator at York University.
* Send tales of your worst nightmare to firstname.lastname@example.org
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now