Warrington MP Helen Southworth has challenged the Wellcome Trust to justify its advice to government to site the Synchrotron project at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordhsire rather than at Daresbury, Cheshire.
She suggested in a Westminster Hall debate this week that members of the Wellcome Trust board had put pressure on the government to choose Oxfordshire because many of them were based at Oxford and Cambridge universities.
"They were more interested in the quality of the wine at the high table rather than the quality of science," she said.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now