Brussels, 09 Jan 2003
Subject: Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of a European Concerted Research Action designated as COST Action 857 "Apicomplexian Biology in the Post-Genomic Era"
Attached is the text of the abovementioned Memorandum of Understanding, signed in Brussels on 17 December 2002 by Germany, Spain and the United Kingdom and on 18 December 2002 by Portugal and Switzerland
The Signatories to this Memorandum of Understanding, declaring their common intention to participate in the Concerted Action referred to above and described in the Technical Annex to the Memorandum, have reached the following understanding:
1. The Action will be carried out in accordance with the provisions of document COST 400/01 "Rules and Procedures for Implementing COST Actions", the contents of which the Signatories are fully aware of.
2. The main objective of the Action is to understand the fundamental biology of apicomplexan parasites, and the way they interact with the infected hosts, through the exploitation of genome sequence data and the application of post-genomics.
3. The economic dimension of the activities carried out under the Action has been estimated, on the basis of information available during the planning of the Action, at Euro 15 million in 2002 prices.
4. The Memorandum of Understanding will take effect on being signed by at least five Signatories.
5. The Memorandum of Understanding will remain in force for a period of five years, calculated from the date of the first meeting of the Management Committee, unless the duration of the Action is modified according to the provisions of Chapter 6 of the document referred to in Point 1 above.