Brussels, 12 Dec 2002
Spanish MEP and member of the Parliament's Committee on industry, external trade, research and energy, is to recommend the approval of a scientific and technological cooperation agreement with Ukraine on 17 December.
The agreement is based on the principles of mutual benefit, reciprocal opportunities for access to programmes and activities, non-discrimination and the effective protection of intellectual property.
Areas for cooperation are:
- environment and climate research, including earth observation;
- biomedical and health research;
- agriculture, forestry and fisheries research;
- industrial and production technologies;
- materials research and metrology;
- non-nuclear energy;
- information society technologies;
- social sciences research;
- science and technology policy;
- training and exchange of scientists.
The initial agreement will be valid until 31 December 2002, after which, it will be renewable by common agreement for additional periods of five years.