The former president of the Asmara University students' union has escaped from Eritrea after a year in detention and has sought political asylum in Ethiopia.
Semere Kesete hopes eventually to travel to western Europe or to the US to continue his studies. He was detained without trial after calling on students to boycott compulsory summer work. Two thousand students were held in detention camps and engaged in building roads in temperatures of up to 50C. Two students died from heatstroke, and several others were hospitalised.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now