Brussels, 09 Jun 2006
No. Cion prop.: 9789/06 EEE 40 RECH 142 N 39 ISL 32 FL 30 Subject: Draft Decision of the EEA Joint Committee amending Protocol 31 to the EEA Agreement, on co-operation in specific fields outside the four freedoms
(European Security Research - 2006)
Consultation deadline for Bulgaria and Romania: 23-06-2006
1. The Commission submitted on 23 May 2006 the above draft Decision of the EEA Joint Committee for approval by the Council.
2. In order to ensure the requisite legal security and homogeneity of the Internal Market, the EEA Joint Committee is to integrate all the relevant Community legislation into the European Economic Area Agreement1 as soon as possible after its adoption.
3. Protocol 31 to the European Economic Area Agreement contains specific provisions on the co-operation between the Community and the EEA - EFTA States outside the four freedoms.
4. The attached draft Decision of the EEA Joint Committee aims to modify Protocol 31 in order to extend co-operation in the field of Research and Technological Development related to European Security Research in 2006. It provides a framework for co-operation and sets out the modalities for participation of the EEA - EFTA States in the Community Programmes and Actions in this field, and concerns:
­ Budget line 02.04.02: Preparatory action for European Security Research (2006)
It extends for the financial year 2006 the operational and financial participation of the EEA - EFTA States in the implementation of the specific Programmes of Community activities in the field of Research and Technological Development, as from 1st January 2006
5. Article 1(3) of Council Regulation (EC) No 2894/94 of 28 November 1994 concerning arrangements for implementing the Agreement on the European Economic Area 2 envisages that the Council establishes the Community position for such Decisions.
6. At the meeting of the Working Party on European Free Trade Association (EFTA) of 30 May 2006, all Delegations approved the draft Decision in question.
7. Consequently, and subject to confirmation by Coreper, it is suggested that the Council approve the draft Decision of the EEA Joint Committee as will be set out in Doc. 9791/06 EEE 42 RECH 144 N 41 ISL 34 FL 32 OC 415, after its finalisation by Legal/Linguistic experts.
[Public Info Net automatically generates links to Council Register documents where an appropriately formatted document number is given. However, the document may not be available for public use and/or it may not be loaded on the Council Register yet.]