Brussels, 26 May 2004
1. In August 2003, the Commission submitted a proposal for a Regulation establishing the structures for the management of the European satellite radionavigation programme (Galileo) in order to entrust to a public authority the supervision of the deployment of the system and its operation by a private consortium. In situations where the operation of the system may affect the security of the European Union or its Member States, the Council should decide on the necessary measures to be taken.
2. On 25 May 2004 the Foreign Relations Counsellors Working Party agreed on the text of a draft Council Joint Action on aspects of the operation of the European satellite radionavigation system affecting the security of the European Union.
3. Against this background, the Committee is invited to
- confirm the agreement reached on the draft Council Joint Action, as set out in the Annex;
- recommend that the Transport Council mark its political agreement on the text with a view to its formal adoption by the Council as an "A" item at one of its next sessions, together with the adoption of the draft Council Regulation on the establishment of structures for the management of the European satellite radionavigation programme and as soon as the texts, as revised by the Jurist/Linguistic experts, are available in the EU languages.