Brussels, 29 Oct 2002
Subject: Adoption of a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning the rules for the participation of undertakings, research centres and universities and for the dissemination of research results for the implementation of the European Community sixth framework programme (2002-2006).
1. The Commission submitted its original proposal on 11 September 20011. An amended proposal was submitted on 11 January 20022.
2. The Economic and Social Committee adopted its opinion on 21 February 20023.
3. Following a number of informal discussions between the Presidency and representatives from the European Parliament, which also involved the Commission services, with a view to reaching agreement at first reading, the European Parliament adopted its opinion on the text of the Regulation on 3 July 20024.
4. The Working Party was subsequently able to approve all the amendments contained in the opinion of the European Parliament and informed the Permanent Representatives Committee accordingly.
5. In the light of the above, it is suggested that the Committee recommends that the Council, under the "A" items of a forthcoming session:
- adopt the Regulation concerning the Rules for participation (EC) by qualified majority with Portugal voting against, in accordance with Article 251 § 2 (first indent) of the Treaty, as set out in doc. PE-CONS 3647/02 RECH 144 CODEC 1003, which has been revised by the legal/linguist experts5;
- publish the Regulation in the Official Journal.
4 Doc. 9839/02 CODEC 739 RECH 103.
5 The Rules for Participation of the Euratom Framework Programme (doc. 11549/02 RECH 142 ATO 105) are to be adopted simultaneously.