Brussels, 22 Jan 2003
Subject: Adoption of a Council Decision concerning the conclusion of the Agreement for scientific and technological cooperation between the European Community and Ukraine.
1. On 11 October 2002, the Commission submitted to the Council its proposal for a Council Decision on the conclusion of the Agreement for scientific and technological cooperation between the European Community and Ukraine.
2. The Agreement has been negotiated on the basis of negotiating directives adopted by the Council on 8 October 2001. On June 2002, the Council adopted a decision on the signing of the Agreement.1 The Agreement was signed on 4 July 2002 in Copenhagen.
3. The European Parliament delivered its favourable opinion on 17 December 2002.
4. The Research Working Party, on 20 January 2003, was informed that, following the European Parliament's opinion, the Community could proceed to the formal conclusion of the Agreement.
5. It is suggested, therefore, that the Permanent Representatives Committee recommend the Council to:
- adopt, as an "A" item, the decision concerning the conclusion of this Agreement as finalised by the legal linguists and set out in document 55/03 RECH 2 NIS 2;
- publish in the Official Journal of the European Communities the text of the decision, as well as that of the Agreement contained in document 9317/02 RECH 94 NIS 76 (already finalised by the legal linguists prior to its signature).