House gas safety plea after off-campus death

August 22, 1997

A JUDGE urged all universities to ensure registered student accommodation had gas-safety certificates after fining two men who created "a veritable deathtrap" for students. Judge Denis Orde said that had the law allowed he would have jailed gasfitter Edgar Maddison and Graham Williams, joint owners of the house where Durham University student Anne Brennan, 19, died in November 1995. Williams was fined Pounds 10,000 after admitting failing to ensure the boiler was properly maintained and checked. Maddison was fined Pounds 4,000 after admitting failing to provide adequate ventilation.

Please login or register to read this article

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments