Washington state's largest private scholarship programme is being established through a $100 million (£66.5 million) gift from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
A partnership between the foundation and the Washington Education Foundation will create the largest private scholarship programme in the state. The Washington State Achievers Programme will create thousands of scholarship opportunities for low-income students from a handful of Washington state high schools. The scholarships represent a 13-year, $100 million investment. Five hundred four-year scholarships will be awarded each year for ten years, beginning in 2001.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now