Brussels, 28 September 2004
The European Commission has today launched the procedure for recruiting an Executive Director for the Galileo Supervisory Authority. The Authority is a Community agency whose mission is to represent the interests of the public sector vis-à-vis the future concession holder of Galileo, the European satellite radio navigation system.
The Commission’s aim is for the Supervisory Authority to be set up early in 2005, following on from the key decisions the Council has to take in December on launching the programme’s deployment and operating phases.
The Supervisory Authority’s tasks are the following:
- it will conclude the concession contract with the consortium selected upon completion of Galileo's development phase and, as the licensing authority, will ensure that the consortium meets its obligations under the contract;
- it will manage and monitor the use of the public funds allocated to the programme;
- it will have full technical competence in relation to security matters;
- it will ensure the technical development of the system;
- it will enable many third countries associated with the programme to take an active part in the management of this strategic infrastructure;
- it will assist the Commission in matters relating to satellite radio navigation.
GALILEO is the European satellite radio navigation programme. It was launched at the instigation of the European Commission and developed jointly with the European Space Agency (ESA). It will enable a new generation of universal services to be developed in areas such as transport, telecommunications, agriculture and fisheries, and promises to be highly profitable. The GALILEO programme will be administered and controlled by civilians and will offer a guarantee of quality and continuity which is indispensable for a number of sensitive applications. Its complementarity with existing systems will increase the reliability and availability of navigation and positioning services worldwide.
For more detailed information on Galileo, visit the following sites: