Volcanic movements in Montserrat have already caused quakes for overseas minister Clare Short. But Scottish secretary Donald Dewar needn't think he's at a safe distance. Alistair Dawson, reader in quaternary science at Coventry University's school of natural and environmental sciences, has found that eruptions as far away as Mexico and Indonesia have a knock-on effect in Edinburgh. When El Chichon erupted in Mexico in 1982, gales swept through the city for more than 50 days, he claims.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now